Friday, April 9, 2010

New Life, New Perspectives

Close to the end of my first year of law school and I'm re-evaluating everything. Mostly, career pathways and I am now even more excited I chose this path. Going into this career, I knew I was interested in advocacy, primarily from a political vantage point. But hearing about other activists use of private practice and litigation as a pathway for acquisition of civil rights for queers is opening up not only my career opportunities, but allowing me to revise the way strategically think about advocacy.

This semester has included Constitutional Law and shown me how gays and women have used the Supreme Court to ensure protection of our rights. I never considered litigation until I took this class. I finished my oral argument yesterday and aside from my sheer nervousness, I felt great about the experience. I not only enjoy taking the current law and framing it in a way that works, but I am learning I am pretty good at it. Nice to have chosen a path that suits my skills.
While I do hate heavy burden of school and the rat race aspect of law school (not to mention the kinds of people who tend to be motivated by the financial side of law and lack any real deep thought or unique personal experiences), I overall feel great. I love engaging with smart folks and have met some really considerate, interesting folks at school.

Back to studies!

No comments: